Friday, January 19, 2024

Heaven Poem (with Mule!)

 

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit radiant Robyn at Life on the Deckle Edge for Roundup.

I don't know what's going on with me...last week I wrote a Funeral Poem...and this week I've written a poem about Heaven! 

I do believe we can continue to be in relationship with our loved ones, even after they are dead. And I often call up on my loved ones (my father in particular)...but why these poems, right now? 

Perhaps it's the ArtSpeak: FOLK ART theme? Folk art isn't afraid of things like death and funerals and heaven. I love that!

The art for today's poem is by Buddy Snipes. Buddy was born 1943 in Macon County, Alabama, and he was known for fixing things. It's no wonder he began creating art assemblage pieces out of spare parts! I love this little blurb about him here. The piece featured is available for purchase at Main Street Gallery in Clayton, GA.

Another thing about this week's poem: it's written in a new-to-me form, called an Abracadabra. Basically it uses the spelling of the word Abracadabra, but takes out the "r"s in order to create a rhyme scheme for a 9-line poem. So the rhyme scheme here is abacadaba. (Perhaps you know from my book NINE: A Book of Nonets, I kind of have a thing for 9-line poems!)

I struggled a bit with this one...but I often struggle with rhyme! I wrote about ten last lines, but couldn't decide! So I asked son Eric to pick, and this is where we landed. Now that it's done, I feel rather pleased with the experience. Maybe I'll write another one sometime...maybe you'd like to write one, too?? I hope so! Meanwhile, thanks so much for reading!

Mule Ringing the Doorbell in Heaven


Hello, Hello, Mule brays.
We're hungry. We're beat.
Are we in the right place?
Gate swings wide,
sets sky ablaze.
Welcome, the angels sing,
to a world full of sunny days!
So Mule and his friend rest, eat—
no worries now; nothing but praise.

- Irene Latham

14 comments:

  1. What a fun new form to try! I am also thinking a lot about my father these days. I'm listening to Anderson Cooper's podcast "All There Is" about grief. It's wonderful. I tried the abracadabra form using his title:
    All there is
    when fear is gone,
    a calming bliss,
    a sunrise of hope.
    Someone I miss
    remains in my love
    I give with a kiss.
    I sing my song,
    All there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that is precious, and it is a perfect pairing with Irene's! "someone I miss / remains in my love"

      Delete
  2. That gate swinging open to "sets sky ablaze" is wonderful. And, a new form? Yes, please and, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, I have been thinking about my loved ones who passed on lately. Your poem is full of positivity and how heaven is a joyful place to enter. I hope my loved ones and friends who left this world are enjoying a world full of sunny days. Thank you for the new poem format. I shall play with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of my mom every time I see her initials on a license plate (HJH). I think of these sightings as a little visit from her and a chance to let her know how I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something about Buddy's art makes me smile. Maybe it is the happy, childlike quality of the fellow on the mule, but I wonder about the white splash that looks like a tear on his cheek. I love how you are able to observe artwork and create an entire narrative from one image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane Anderson (newtreemom)
    I love the last line you settled on. I think rhyme is hard to write. I will try out this abracadabra pattern. I hope as you continue your journey through folk art you might visit some Peruvian folk art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That 'world full of sunny days' feels very nice these cold months, Irene. There is an artist here who passed away two years ago whom I got to know. He created pieces out of old metal parts, reminds me of your Buddy Snipes' piece. And now a new poem form. I love how you made it work so beautifully for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, thanks for sharing this form here. I love that you asked your son to help choose the last line. That is one of my favorite lines in your poem, and what I think heaven would be about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I will try this form! I love "nothing but praise." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love that the art got you to heaven, Irene! Such joy - I know I do not wish to stay in heaven if the doggies (and the mules) aren't there with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You drew me in with the title--wonderful image for the art you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the conversation in your poem, Irene. I think I've used this form before but I can't find my example (probably before I started using tags), so I will just have to write another!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?