Friday, August 14, 2026

Afternoon Tea in August poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Molly at Nix the Comfort Zone for Roundup.


The fabulous Joyce Uglow recently interviewed me about all things poetry, including my new collection Come In! Come In! Wordspinners to Welcome You Home. Here's a link, if you'd like to check it out!

Also, it was so great seeing some of your sweet faces at The Poet's Studio with Georgia Heard earlier this week! So much fun learning together!!

Today's ArtSpeak: WOMEN features an oft-forgotten woman impressionist: Marie Bracquemond. 

You know how poems often take on a life of their own? I didn't intend to write a poem about a grumpy girl, but that's what the poem wanted. And not just a grumpy girl—a girl who regrets her grumpiness. Perhaps it's a wee bit autobiographical, as heat indeed makes me prickly!! And when I snap at a loved one (or a stranger), I always want to make amends. Thanks for reading!


Afternoon Tea in August


Buzz away, little bee.

Can't you see

I'm reading?


Oh sun, please leave!

You're making me

so sleepy . . .


Come back, little bee!

I'm sorry! I need

your buzzy company.


Sun, forgive me.

Won't you let me

read you a story?

- Irene Latham

11 comments:

  1. Irene? Grumpy? Of course you must be sometimes, and heat can surely do it. This painting reminds me of the painter Berthe Morisot. The subject does look annoyed. I heard your workshop was great and I'm sorry I couldn't attend. I feel I missed something! Have a happy rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Irene! Your poem reminded me of a PB manuscript I have about a girl who is trying to get out of her grumpy mood. Can't wait to get my copy of Come In! Come In!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you admit to a bit of grumpiness. All we see is your brightness and kindness. Sorry I missed the gathering this week. I’ve been on Mamere duty, which is really the best kind of duty in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so relatable, Irene! Thank you for sharing how a poem can lead you to where it wants to be. I have been reading about your workshop, and it sounds fabulous. I will have some work to do this week on poetry with all the inspiration I'm getting this week on PF. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of summer and can so relate to this poem. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, your ArtSpeak combo of a painting and poem is so on point. I would never think of you as a grumpy person but there are many times that summer heat is the culprit. I wish I could have been at your workshop but we are on our family vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the long e sounds in your poem and how you gave your poem the room it needed to develop in its own way. I can definitely relate to heat-induced grumpiness! Thanks for a wonderful evening of creativity and inspiration this week. I'm so glad I was able to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to follow a poem into it's own grumpiness and back out again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Irene, this is perfect! I can get more than a little prickly in the heat. :) You perfectly captured the expression on the face of the woman in the painting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grumpy girl learned...sometimes we just need a nap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irene I enjoyed the levels of reflection in your short poem which reflects the levels of description of Marie Bracquemond’s painting in the rich review you shared. What we choose to place in front of us on a table setting may make a difference… thanks for your multi-layered post!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?