Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Ruth at Thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown for Roundup.
Just a reminder: I'm excited to be joining Georgia Heard at The Poet's Studio to talk about the secrets of our craft...specifically word-magic in poetry on August 12, via zoom! Please join us, if you can!
Today's ArtSpeak: WOMEN has me returning to Berthe Morisot. This time it's a dog poem. Hooray!
We feel incredibly lucky to share our days and nights with our 8 year old Aussie Rosie. She is such a great traveler! And this week she got to meet a horse for the first time. So much fun!! No wonder I chose to write about dog-love.But y'all, it's hard to write a dog poem because what can I say that hasn't already been said?!
I tried at least a dozen entry points and REALLY struggled. I think remembering Phoebe's "smelly cat" from Friends got me to the smelly bit! (Rosie, as a 95% indoor dog, rarely smells...and has no opportunity to find smelly treasures, though I bet she'd like to!) I do love the little bit of word-magic that entered the poem, and so I pulled back and pulled back until I had very few words left at all! Thanks so much for reading.
Once Upon a Smelly Pup
All it took
was one
little
wag-whine-wiggle
for that smelly
pup
to trash-land
right
in
my
heart.
- Irene Latham


No comments:
Post a Comment
Your thoughts?