Friday, July 31, 2026

Hide and Seek poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference for Roundup.

I am traveling...again! This time to parts of Missouri, Nebraska, and South Dakota. I love summer. :) 

Irene Latham & Dahlia Hamza
Constantine
Here's a pic of Dahlia Hamza Constantine and me from last week at the Staunton (Virginia) Public Library. Among many joys, we saw a production of "Our Town" at the American Shakespeare Center/Blackfriars Playhouse (which is the only U.S. replica of the Globe!). Y'all. AMAZING. And oh boy, it fired me up! I have written SO MUCH this week... positively bubbling over with ideas and inspiration.  I love it.

Today's ArtSpeak: WOMEN features a piece by Berthe Morisot, one of the female Impressionists. Much has been written about Morisot and Manet, and I have this book on my TBR stack. 

Some notes: I wanted the poem to be in the child's voice. I wanted to be in conversation with the name of the piece, which is "Hide and Seek (Cache-Cache)." I wanted the poem to feel magical, to convey a sense of connection with nature. I wanted to mention the umbrella, which may be for sun or rain, I'm not sure! I'm pleased that my poem was able to accomplish some of these things—though I couldn't fit "umbrella" or "parasol" into the poem, I did get "raindrop!" And now I totally want to write more poems after Morisot's pieces! Thanks so much for reading.


Hide and Seek


I see ants
I see bees
Is that the sun
hiding
behind spring's breeze?

I see flowers
I see grass
and tiny raindrop
glistening
like shattered glass.

I see the world
World can't see me
Did you know
the sky sings
when you hold hands
with a tree?




3 comments:

  1. I love that you are bubbling over with inspiration! <3 The Blackfriars is wonderful, isn't it? "I see the world/World can't see me"-- now that is a good hiding place! Charming narrator, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackfriar's Playhouse sounds delightful!
    Also, that is just a lovely painting. I think charming is the correct word for the juxtaposition of the beautifully historical and "correct" posture and dress of the child against the unexpectedly joyful and unstructured narration of how she sees the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, your joyful spilleth over! How apropo to match it to a child's outdoor joy!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?