Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Jama's Alphabet Soup for what's sure to be a delicious Roundup.
I'm away from my desk today—teaching and learning at SCBWI Wisconsin. Hooray!
Today's ArtSpeak: WOMEN poem is special because it was inspired by art from one of our neardear poet-artists, Linda Mitchell! Thank you, Linda, for the birds you sent flying into my heart. I chose to write it as a shadorma (Spanish syllabic form, just 6 lines), because I love the challenge of short forms!
Shadorma for the Birds Nesting in My Mailbox
I did not
expect you, but there
you were: sing-
ing of sun-
flowers—you gave me skywings
and now I'm flying!
- Irene Latham
p.s. This is not my first time to write after Linda's art. Check out "Summer Travels North for the Season" !

Linda is the best, isn't she? So generous and talented. Hope you have a good time in Wisconsin! xo
ReplyDeleteLovely poem inspired by Lindaʼs beautiful collage -- a double treat for us poetry lovers!
ReplyDeleteIrene, I agree with Jama that this ArtSpeak is a double treat. The collage by Linda could be this century's ephemera. Your words fly so gently with the birds. Enjoy SCBWI Wisconsin!
ReplyDeleteWhat a treat to find Linda's art and your poetry paired!
ReplyDeleteWheeeeeee! They flew to just the right place for a poem of delight.
ReplyDeleteLove every angle of this! And I think "I did not expect you..." is a terrific prompt. Need to go write that down!
ReplyDeleteSuch fun to read your poem and see Linda's inspiring art! Enjoy your time in Wisconsin.
ReplyDeleteWords and pictures working in unison, Irene. Your words nesting gently.
ReplyDelete