Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Poetry of Food

Recently I passed by this Bible verse on a church sign:

All ate and were filled.
Matthew 15:37

And then I was at an art show and saw this:

Every table is an altar.

Both remind of my 2017 One Little Word "Abundance," and to be grateful, and that even the most mundane moments are an opportunity to celebrate -- and create -- beauty.

And that reminds me of this book: 

Eat this Poem: A Literary Feast of Recipes Inspired by Poetry by Nicole Gulotta. Be sure to click the link to visit Nicole's blog by the same name, where she posts beautiful poetic thoughts and pictures of the food she's cooking. Poems and dishes that go with them... that's a feast I can get behind! (Obviously... I did write FRESH DELICIOUS. Ha!)
Click here for Fresh Delicious-inspired poems by students!


Do you have a favorite food poem? Please share in comments!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like my kind of cookbook--going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful, Irene. I'll look for it! My book group just read Stir: My Broken Brain & The Meals That Brought Me Home, with recipes. Each of us brought a supper dish from the book to share. Not poetry, but a wonderful memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just requested the book from the library (so glad they had it). My favorite food poem is Apple Season by Joyce Sutphen. I love everything about it - the apple brigade, the slinky toys, and the last image of apple slices -
    "Soon
    they will be married to butter and live with
    cinnamon and sugar, happily ever after."
    My mom used to can apples, and then we would have them in the winter months warm with cinnamon and sugar on buttered biscuits.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?