Wednesday, October 22, 2008

RED AND RIPE AND READY


So here's the last of the tomatoes. Aren't they gorgeous? And extra-special, as it's the last the garden will give, at least this season. It makes me think of words like red and ripe and ready. Savor and succulent and sweet. Vine and fine and climb.

Delicious. And oh so poem-worthy. (I myself have written two poems in the past week that include tomatoes.)

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

- Abraham Lincoln

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous 'maters. Love the Abe quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,

    I have been on a BLT/avocado kick, lately and those tomatoes would just be PERFECT!!! I wish you lived closer because I would insist on inviting you over for lunch.(You bring the tomatoes, I'll do the rest!)

    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?