Sunday, November 30, 2008

SHOWCASE SUNDAY

And There Was an Orange Moon

Last night I waited six hours
for the sound of your key in the door
my body curled in a tight ball
and I thought, this is what it's like
to know you'll soon be born,
here in this white-sheeted world
its walls rising and falling
with each fluttering breath

and you driving toward me
down highways made unfamiliar
by darkness and time
then out of nowhere
(you told me this morning)
moon like a pumpkin
your hand turning the knob,
heart thrumming in its iron cage.

- Irene Latham

My most favorite thing to write about in poetry or prose, is love. And as a reader, one of my most favorite things to read is fresh, new descriptions of love - ones that make me say, yes, EXACTLY....

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

- George Eliot

3 comments:

  1. As I read this, my head is nodding and I am whispering, "exactly!" The rhythm and the images in your poem perfectly mirror the anticipation and the wonder of those feelings. Thank you so much for sharing this one. Beautiful.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long does it take you to come up with these? amazing!
    Shelli
    http://faeriality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much... some poems come easily, others I slave over. This one hasn't changed much from its raw form. But some poems I rework for years! A piece is never really "done," is it?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?