Friday, November 28, 2008

FIVE FOR FRIDAY

1. I'm hungry. Was Thanksgiving really just yesterday?

2. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 'round these parts. All day we've been dragging out a box at a time. Funny what the guys choose to display and not display. (To all of you out there with little bitties, don't go secretly giving away that Bubble Santa that plays endless Christmas songs and leaves an annoying film of soap scum on the floor. Yep, still a hit a dozen years later.)

3. I'm one-third of the way through the latest draft of ESCAPE FROM FIRE MOUNTAIN, my historical fiction midgrade set in Martinique during the eruption of Mt. Pelee. This go around I've been concentrating on those little nitpicky details that lend authenticity to the story. Things like 1902 fashion and French words of endearment. Big thanks to La Belette Rouge for all your help! I've got a few more questions for you - will send you an email.

4. I am just about finished with a book called THE EGYPT GAME. It won a Newbery Honor Award, and it was recommended to me by another author when I was recounting a very important part of my childhood in which my youngest brother and sister and I created this whole play world based on what we knew about Egypt (knowledge largely collected during our many many viewings of the movie THE TEN COMMANDMENTS). Turns out, we weren't the only ones whose imaginary play was inspired by all things Egyptian. So, yeah, I am loving this book.

5. Must go nibble on some leftovers... peanut butter balls, anyone?

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding."

- Kahlil Gibran

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm peanut butter balls....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene--The Egypt Game was one of my very favorite books as a child. I remember finding it when I was 10, and it was a story that stuck in my memory until I was an adult. This summer, I found a copy for Ada and Esme to have in their own collection, and I'm eager to see what Ada thinks of it when she's ready for such a story...
    I love that you're enjoying it now. Just more proof that a great book remains so for always...
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene,

    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We don't have any left-overs because we drove out to my dads for dinner. We do have friends driving out to see us from Las Vegas, so this weekend will be very busy! They are bringing their foster babies with them(three!) and their children and their grandbaby so it will be lots of fun!

    Eat some Peanut-butter balls for me!

    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its looked like friday here since halloween :)
    Shelli
    http://faeriality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?