Thursday, June 24, 2010

HELEN KELLER FESTIVAL, HERE I COME


So. Lots of fun stuff in store this weekend, thanks in large part to dear writing friend Pat Weaver.

Pat's an amazing gal. And I love going to Florence to visit her, even when nothing else is going on.

This weekend I'm taking the whole family with me -- first to eat supper with Pat and her husband Ronnie and niece Amy, who is a new high school graduate and an amazing writer. I'm super-pleased to be publishing one of her poems in an upcoming issue of Birmingham Arts Journal!

Then we're seeing THE MIRACLE WORKER, at the ampitheater that sits behind Helen Keller's childhood home (called Ivy Green).

Saturday morning Pat is cooking a big country breakfast for us -- anyone out there had biscuits and chocolate gravy?? Anyone out there had PAT'S biscuits and chocolate gravy? Mmmm-mmmm, good!

We'll visit the barn and hang out at the festival and then in the afternoon I will join some other fabulous authors at Cold Water Books for a signing.

I'm excited! And you know what else is cool? Ludelphia and Helen Keller have a little something in common. Those of you who have read LEAVING GEE'S BEND know what I'm talking about...

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I've always had tremendous respect for Helen Keller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had Aunt Pat's but I have had Brenda's (my stepgrandmother Pat's stepmom) and it is awesome!

    Thanks for the nice compliment! It made my day! :)

    The play is awesome. Anyone and everyone should go. Espically if Christie Connolly is playing Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, summer! Every time you write about going to Florence, my heart gets all excited that you're going to Italy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?