Tuesday, October 11, 2011

MEET BELLE, THE LAST MULE AT GEE'S BEND

For Book Talk Tuesday, I want to talk about this wonderful picture book BELLE, THE LAST MULE AT GEE'S BEND by Calvin Alexander Ramsey and Bettye Stroud, with illustrations by John Holyfield.

Being a Gee's Bend groupie, I'm completely biased and knew before I read it that I would love this one. While it is not set during the Depression as is my novel LEAVING GEE'S BEND, it still captures many of the Gee's Bend characteristics that I fell in love with: quilts, of course. People who are strong and inspiring. And yes, a mule.

In LEAVING GEE'S BEND, there is also a mule. Her name is Delilah. She and Belle must have been related. But actually, the character in LEAVING GEE'S BEND that Belle has the most in common with is Ludelphia.

Strong, I tell you. Stubborn. With hearts that bulge that goodness.

Please add this lovely little book to your shelves and pull it out any time, but particularly during February. Pair it with STITCHIN' AND PULLIN' by Patricia McKissack with illustrations by Cozbi A Cabrera.

For a more complete review, see The Examiner's review.

Happy Reading, and don't forget to visit Kelly at the Lemme Library for other Book Talks!

1 comment:

Your thoughts?