Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Mystery, Revisited. And, the Art of Living WILD.

I just finished a book that really moved me: WILD by Cheryl Strayed.

It was not something I would have picked up on my own -- it was picked for me by our book club. (Among the many arguments FOR being in a book club, this is one of them: the opportunity to read things you might not have chosen!) And I loved it.

Basically, it's about how a woman's journey walking the Pacific Crest Trail heals and changes her. It's beautiful. And hold onto your cracker jacks, she BURNS BOOKS along the way. Read the book to find out why. Or... I just discovered it's also been adapted in a movie starring Reese Witherspoon, releasing in December!

And now, just a short passage from the end of the book that speaks to me of my 2014 One Little Word, which is "mystery," and also points me to what may become my word for 2015. We'll see! Meanwhile, read the book! It just might change you.

"To believe that I didn't need to reach

 with my bare hands anymore. To know

that seeing the fish beneath the surface 

of the water was enough. That it was

everything. It was my life – like all

lives, mysterious and irrevocable and 

sacred. So very close, so very present,

so very belonging to me.



How wild it was, to let it be."

- Cheryl Strayed, WILD

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm wondering what word this points you to for 2015...sacred? enough? present? belonging?
    Book clubs do push your envelope, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this book. I love any sort of book that pushes life to the extreme...perhaps because I'm a rather wimpy one, and I draw courage from these things.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?