Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Hoke, You're My Best Friend." #bloglikecrazy

Today's #bloglikecrazy prompt from Javacia Bowser is “write about your best friend or a group of friends.” 

I've been blessed with some wonderful friendships over the years. I've also experienced the crash-n-burn friendship, the not-what-I-thought-it-was friendship, the slipping-away-we've-outgrown-each-other friendship. I've made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot and loved deeply. But no friendship has impacted my life more obviously than the friendship I share with my husband.

Paul and I met on a blind date. We were set up by my best friend in college Cindy and her friend/Paul's sister Donna. They just knew Paul and I were meant for each other. It didn't take us very long to believe they were right!

A pic of us at my parents' house, just after we got engaged. 1990
Nearly 24 years ago when we went on that first date I remember how after we'd enjoyed our meal, Paul pulled from his pocket a newspaper clipping of the movie schedule. (Back in the day when we used the newspaper for such things!) He asked me what I wanted to see, and I, without hesitation, pointed to DRIVING MISS DAISY. So that's what we saw. Of course it's a story about the unlikely friendship between Miss Daisy and her driver Hoke. It's one of only two films we watch again every single year. (The other is IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.)


Paul is not my driver (okay, sometimes he is!), but he is definitely my best friend. I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?