Thursday, October 10, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: SNOW

For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the writing assignment prompts found in THE BUTTERLY HOURS by Patty Dann.

I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?

For links to the prompts I've written on so far this year, please click on The Butterfly Hours tab above.

This month's prompts are sister, shoes, slippers, snow, snowstorm, soccer, soup, stairs, stamp, stepmother.


SNOW

ice storm, 5th grade
Growing up mostly in the south (and partly overseas), I don't have a lot of snow memories. So I tend to romanticize snow! It's all quiet hush and magic to me. I remember making snow cream and snow angels and snow men. I also remember watching our boys sled down the hill on trash can lids. But my biggest cold weather memory from childhood was an ice storm when I was in 5th grade living in Folsom, Louisiana. This was a rare event in Louisiana, and school was canceled for two days. The icicles daggered from the gutters and the yard held sheets of ice. It was thrilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?