Saturday, November 30, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: THEATER


For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the writing assignment prompts found in THE BUTTERLY HOURS by Patty Dann.

I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?

For links to the prompts I've written on so far this year, please click on The Butterfly Hours tab above.

This month's prompts are straws, studio, stuffed animal, summer job, tattoos, telephone, tennis court, test, theater.

THEATER

The first musical theater I can remember was a church production of LIL' ABNER. I'm sure there is very much wrong with it, and likely today I wouldn't enjoy the (southern “hillbilly”) stereotypes presented, but wee me LOVED it! It was the beginning of a lifelong love of theater that has included many Broadway plays and musical, seen in New York, London, Birmingham (local theater as well as the Birmingham Broadway series), and most recently The Covered Bridge Players located in Oneonta, AL. (Don't discount local theater! A passionate group of amateurs can be magical on stage!)

Two pretty predictable favorites musicals: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and LES MISERABLES, both of which Paul and I have seen multiple times. As for plays, I am a huge fan of A.R. Gurney's work. And Paul and I enjoy introducing youngsters to theater... most recently we've taken the Buttercups to see ANNIE, WICKED, THE LITTLE MERMAID, and MATILDA. We are lucky in Alabama to have a premier theater: Alabama Shakespeare Festival in Montgomery, AL. I'm grateful to my parents for making theater a part of my life, and I look forward to whatever show we'll see next! (#1 on my to-see list: HARRY POTTER.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?