Friday, February 21, 2020

If thirst has a color (poem)

Me with some fabulous
future teachers at Troy University-Dothan.
Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Cheriee at Library Matters for Roundup.

It's been a busy week for me with travels to Troy, AL and Dothan, AL... and next up Auburn, AL! Then next week Charles Waters comes to Alabama, and we have quite a few groups we'll be working with in addition to dashing down to Mobile, AL, for some research on our work-in-progress.

I'm taking it one day at a time, focusing on gratitude. It's an honor to be asked to share my life and stories with others... so far on this busy spring stretch, I've taken good care of myself. Looking forward, it helps to know that on several ventures I will have friends/loved ones joining me. Yay!

I offer you my latest ArtSpeak: RED poem below!




-->
if thirst has a color

its color is red

its sound,
a lion's roar

thirst is gritty
as sand between my toes

its scent
is burnt almonds

it tastes
blade-sharp

the moment
before water

whisper-drips
onto my lips

- Irene Latham
------
Readers, have you ever been thirsty, so thirsty? What does it taste like to YOU? (That was the hardest sense for me to find in this poem!)

12 comments:

  1. Love the sensory details in your poem. Great painting, too (artist is new to me). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thirst images are wholly unexpected, but perfect. (Or should I say, AND perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh....that raw anticipation of water. Yes, red! I'd type more...but I can't. It's just perfect.
    I'm excited for you to be blossoming as an author. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Those whisper drips" might enrage, so real, Irene. I have been very thirsty a couple of times, hard to imagine how it could be worse, yet I know it must be. Love the response to that lovely portrait. Have fun in all your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poem is very visual–it has the bite of a lack of water and the reward of your ending as
    "whisper-drips
    onto my lips"
    Handsome painting too. Wishing you all the best on your traveling book trips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love that whisper-drip of water onto your thirsty red lips, Irene. Wow. What a busy time you are having! I am so glad you are taking care of yourself! Say g'day to Charles for me! And have a grand, fun time! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that final "whisper-drip". Enjoy your travels. How lovely to know that you're spreading seeds of poetry everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun traveling. My favorite detail -
    "thirst is gritty
    as sand between my toes."
    I love the painting, the girl standing on tiptoe to catch the "whisper-drips."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is a powerful poem.
    I'm working in a school next week with different classes and have changed my mind about what I'm going to do with the students at least three times since reading today's posts. I hope you won't mind if I use this poem as mentor text with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your taking care not to burn out, Irene! The rich sensory detail of your poem about thirst is surprising and spot on, just as it should be. And just as I would expect from you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that water whisper drips. Have fun with your travels and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I will use this as a mentor text. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?