Friday, February 14, 2020

Warm Hearts, Cold Day (love poem for Valentine's Day)

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit lovely Linda B. at TeacherDance for Roundup.

Happy Valentine's Day to all you Lovelies! I know some complain about commercialized Valentine's Day, but I feel like any excuse to show people you love them is a good day... so bring on the hearts and chocolates and flowers and poems!

And on the theme of love...

driving along Oak Creek Canyon
at sunset
Last week Paul and I visited Arizona, where we stayed in Sedona surrounded by red rocks... and rode around in a rented red car! We also took a peek at the Grand Canyon (south rim), which is indeed, grand. Beautiful and inspiring!

As part of latest Adventures in Ink e-newsletter giveaway, I received so many wonderful word suggestions for DICTIONARY FOR A BETTER WORLD! Thank you!! Giveaway winners are:

Cathy Hall
Denise Panter
Barbara Schneider

Congratulations!! 
And here are the words readers want to add to our DICTIONARY:



And yes, I wrote another ArtSpeak! RED poem this week. I decided to stick with the Valentine's theme, which led me to my Valentine among artists: Vincent van Gogh. Enjoy!



-->
Bedtime Love Song

I love you
like red blanket
loves bed

like walls
love the color
blue

like chair
loves a body's
weight –

no room
can hold
the love I feel
             for you.


- Irene Latham

... and here is a link to another Valentine's Day set of poems: one by Aileen Fisher, one by me. :)

31 comments:

  1. Sedona is so full of beauty! Your bedtime poem is sure to spark sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose! I had always heard about Sedona, but it truly is something you must see in person.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely full of the coziest love. I love YOU! What a glorious trip...and what a beautiful time of celebration for your newest book. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Amy, who I imagine cozied with all that winter lace outside the window... xo

      Delete
  3. Sunset and bedtime -- a gorgeous, cuddly combo! Happy Valentine's Day, Irene! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and isn't "cuddly" a most cuddlesome word?? Thank you, Tabatha. xo

      Delete
  4. Fab poem, Irene! Lucky you, visiting Sedona and seeing the Grand Canyon, and that red car. :) Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama, it truly was a beautiful time. Thank you for chiming in! xo

      Delete
  5. Wow... I love that poem! Thanks for all your warm red ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely that you had that trip, Irene. It is so beautiful there! Your poem takes us on a wonderful romantic ride, and the ending, truest love, right? That picture from Van Gogh is lovely too. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, we all need those romantic rides, don't we?? Sending love to you! xo

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing Irene! Congratulations on all the good mojo coming your way for your newest book! I'm really happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Tim! Appreciate you celebrating with us! Still thinking about your 3-D printer novel.... go go go!

      Delete
  8. Oh, how wonderful! I share your love for Van Gogh. The poem is perfect for that painting. I'm sure he approves!
    What wonderful words for the dictionary. I'm starting to brainstorm prep plans for Charles' visit to my school. This gives me a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I can't wait to hear what you come up with! I know it will be AWESOME. so

      Delete
  9. I'm with you, I love Valentine's Day! Thank you for this sweet bedtime poem. I hope your day is filled with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I love you like blanket loves bed!" A new favorite line! I wonder what my sixth graders might write with this as a mentor poem! I want to share it with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you will share it with them. If you do, please do share their poems with me! xo

      Delete
  11. Oh, your bedtime love song is simply lovely! And I love visualizing you and Paul in your rented red car. I wonder about the "red" adventures you'll have this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was as funny moment, because the rental company guy said "pick your car," and I headed straight for the red one! :)

      Delete
  12. That bedtime love story is fabulous! I can see kids using it as a mentor text to create their own love poems. Looking forward to the next red poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for ALL the Valentines! Sending cat-curled-by-my-side love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cat-curled-by-my-side is THE BEST. And back to you! Thank you, Mary Lee. xo

      Delete
  14. Lovely, and I completely agree about Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love love love! Bring it, give it, savor it. xo

      Delete
  15. I love the simple language you used in this gorgeous poem, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yay, thank you, Irene! You know how I love your books! (And I love that poem, too. I have red on my bed and in all of my bedrooms and not just because I'm a Georgia Bulldogs fan. :-) I just kinda love a pop of red before bed!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Might there be a poem percolating in that trip to Sedona in the red car driving through the red canyon rocks… Such an overflowing love-filled poem, thanks Irene! xo ps The "Bedroom at Arles" is a fav of mine…

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?