Thursday, August 13, 2020

ArtSpeak! RED poem "Saturday Morning" after Vermeer's "The Little Street"

 

Hello, and welcome to my latest ArtSpeak! RED poem! This is the third poem in a row inspired by a Vermeer painting. Here are the other two:

"Beware" after "The Girl in a Red Hat"
"Lacemaker, Late Afternoon" after "The Lacemaker"


 I'm posting a day early, because tomorrow Jeannine Atkins will be visiting to share about her newest book, and I want to save all the space for her. Enjoy!

Saturday Morning

When we stroll along the cobbled street,

we savor the sweet flavor of morning.

The red bricks swallow the sun's heat

as we stroll along the cobbled street.

We never know who we might meet –

or what sweet memories we're forming –

when we stroll along the cobbled street.

Oh, what a delicious morning!

- Irene Latham

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely to celebrate one's neighborhood in your poem, Irene, how Vermeer might have felt while painting? I started Jeannine's book last night. It's going to be a terrific read! Have a super Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh. Lovely, lovely the street, the stones, the strolling. Such a happy poem. I was poking around my craft table and stumbled upon an idea for a word for next year...it's not a color. This makes me happy because I don't want to copy you exactly. But, it's an unusual word with delicious meaning. Sigh. I do love making plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, for a stroll along a cobbled street! (Preferably in Amsterdam...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a delicious poem,Irene! I love the details you focus on, especially "red bricks swallow the sun's heat." And I agree with Mary Lee: it would be wonderful to stroll along a cobbled street!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?