Friday, August 14, 2020

Grasping the Mysteries of Poetry, Math, and Science with Jeannine Atkins

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Molly at Nix the Comfort Zone for Roundup. 

I am super excited because today one of my favorite favorites Jeannine Atkins is here to talk about her latest verse novel Grasping Mysteries: Girls Who Loved Math (Atheneum, 2020), which is earning beautiful reviews and offers a lovely follow-up to Finding Wonders: Three Girls Who Changed Science.


Publisher's description:

After a childhood spent looking up at the stars, Caroline Herschel was the first woman to discover a comet and to earn a salary for scientific research. Florence Nightingale was a trailblazing nurse whose work reformed hospitals and one of the founders of the field of medical statistics. The first female electrical engineer, Hertha Marks Ayrton registered twenty-six patents for her inventions.

Marie Tharp helped create the first map of the entire ocean floor, which helped scientists understand our subaquatic world and suggested how the continents shifted. A mathematical prodigy, Katherine Johnson calculated trajectories and launch windows for many NASA projects including the Apollo 11 mission. Edna Lee Paisano, a citizen of the Nez Perce Nation, was the first Native American to work full time for the Census Bureau, overseeing a large increase in American Indian and Alaskan Native representation. And Vera Rubin studied more than two hundred galaxies and found the first strong evidence for dark matter.

Told in vibrant, evocative poems, this stunning novel celebrates seven remarkable women who used math as their key to explore the mysteries of the universe and grew up to do innovative work that changed the world.

Welcome, Jeannine!

JA: Thank you for the three questions, Irene. My favorite number, because of the bears, blind mice, musketeers, and the triangles of beginnings, middles, and ends.

The delicious 

JA: Looking back from when a book is ready to go into the world, it all seems delicious. But I’ll get to the more truthful part with your next question. For me, the small things within big stories are what make my mouth water. I can read through many generalizations without wanting to sit up straight, but when I run across something like doctors calling Florence Nightingale the Lady with a Hammer, or the names of Marie Tharp’s poodles or the linoleum flooring shop where Vera Rubin got a free cardboard tube to construct a telescope with her father, I feel as if I’ve been invited into a life. I need to get back to the math behind discoveries, but often the small things help me shape a poem.


The difficult 

JA: I generally love research, a fancy name for reading and daydreaming with a focus on how to arrange facts. But to be honest, researching math was not the most fun I’ve ever had. I wrote Finding Wonders: Girls Who Changed Science not because of my science skills, but I love the natural world, which gave me a way to connect with an astronomer, a biologist, and a paleontologist. Researching that book meant learning more about women in STEM, and I became aware of how important math skills are to success in most present-day science. I wanted to cheer on girls who already love math and show young readers who don’t that there’s more to the subject than they realize. So I pushed myself to learn. When it was hard, I kept going to honor the women from history I came to know and love.


The unexpected

Kirby! (Jeannine's
research buddy)
JA: Sometimes my husband passes my stacks of science books and says, “This isn’t what I expected when I met you in 1983.” Me neither. Back then I read Virginia Woolf and was not much of a math or science student. I’m far from an expert now. But I know what questions to ask. Caring about the natural world, today’s girls and boys, and the history of women has brought me to some beautiful places.

Thank you, Jeannine! 

And I shall leave you with a favorite quote from each section of the book:

Caroline Herschel -- "Night isn't a veil, but a door."

Hertha Marks Ayrton -- "Sarah loves math for its loyalty. / Numbers may disappear, but new ones take their place." [Before she was called Hertha, her parents named her Sarah.]

Marie Tharpe -- "Every map is a compromise."

Katherine Johnson --"She loves best what she can't count: / raindrops, leaves rustling into a chorus, / stars blinking in and out of sight over the hills."

Edna Lee Paisano -- "The river remembers her shape."

From Vera Rubin -- "Doubt paves the path to discovery."

... and a writing prompt! Each section features a poem called "A Girl's Education." Write your own poem with that title.

This week's ArtSpeak: RED poem "Saturday Morning" after Vermeer's "The Little Street" can be found here. Thank you for reading!

16 comments:

  1. What a great interview! I so enjoyed reading Jeannine's responses, especially when she talks about how the small things within big stories make her "feel as if I’ve been invited into a life."I also loved the beautiful quotes you shared. I'll be keeping an eye out for this beauty of a book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy reading Jeannine's thoughts on writing. Thank you for asking the three questions. I copied down her description of research. I get the sense that she doesn't rush herself. I tend to always feel like I'm not working fast enough. I love that she finds details and weaves stories. I cannot wait to get my hands on this book! I need it for me and for my students. Thanks so much for giving us a taste with those exquisite quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda. Yes, I am the slowest of the slow, slogging with an eye out for those details. I've almost finished a new draft of a book, but there are still a few books to read, and then ... slowly going over what I already have. Thinking of you with great respect and care as you move back into the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful interview! The time and energy you put into your research is inspiring, Jeannine. My copy of Grasping Mysteries arrived a few days ago and is patiently waiting for me to finish my current read. And thank you for the great prompt. It's perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, so nice to know Grasping Mysteries is waiting for you. Wishing you best in this new season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed hearing Jeannine's inspiration from those tiny phrases like "the lady with the hammer", knowing there is a story in there -- somewhere -- for Jeannine to discover. I'm ready for Katherine Johnson's story, have enjoyed the parts read so far, Jeannine. Thank you for that meticulous research & finding poetic ways to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and your generous comments, Linda. That means so much.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to think of this in your hands, Mary Lee! Best wishes for fall!

      Delete
  8. I love your definition of research Jeannine, "a fancy name for reading and daydreaming with a focus on how to arrange facts." Irene, thanks for sharing so many wonderful quotes from Jeannine's book, and this rich review, I'm looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Michelle. In college I was lucky to take a course held just one time, grant funded, called "Lost New England Writers," and got hooked on research. I switched my focus mostly to naturalists and scientists as there's not so much to say to young readers about days spent at desks, or I can't quite make that sound as entertaining as it is, but othewise I haven't changed much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every map is a compromise. LOVE that. Jeannine is so talented at weaving facts and story together to share people's lives. Really looking forward to this one :>) "A Girl's Education." 50 different ideas flood my mind just from that title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Laura! Yes, A Girl's Education -- does take the mind to lots of places!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soul-nourishing post all around - thank you, Irene and Jeannine - and congrats on another stellar, much-needed book! "Every map is a compromise." --love that, and all of those fave quotes, Irene - like the river remembering her shape. Hearty appreciations from a kindred spirit far more comfortable with words than numbers, but with more respect for numbers each year. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reading and the kind words, Robyn! Of course words are my chosen form, too, but appreciate those who find new paths with numbers!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?