Friday, September 9, 2022

Picasso Mouse poem

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink for Roundup.

with Daniel on his first birthday,
September 1995
September is a big birthday month in my family. Both my parents were born in September. One of my brothers. My eldest son. A niece. A nephew... actually, I learned that more babies are born worldwide in September than any other month. 

In recent decades in the U.S., that month is August, followed by July. Interesting, yes?



So this month has already held some birthday celebrations, and we're not done yet! 

Switching gears...this week's ArtSpeak: Animals continues my Picasso mini-series. Meet Picasso's mouse, who has quite an impressive tail! It just seems wrong to write anything lengthy about these simple line drawings, so I am getting some practice as a miniaturist/haiku poet lately. It's been fun...and challenging! Thank you so much for reading.






just behind the door

a mouse parades down the aisle

bride of shadows

-Irene Latham

11 comments:

  1. You open my imagination as I think of this mouse parading - with a veil reaching to its tail. Makes me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Patricia, that word "bride" brings up new images to Picasso's lines. I am in awe of the sketches, too. Love this series, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, there are 'older' September birthdays in our family, too, then younger August, one July. I fits the pattern you shared! Happy Celebrations all!

      Delete
  3. Happy BirthdayS! I love the phrase 'bride of shadows.' That word shadows is unexpected and layered. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bride is perfect. Mouse has the bridal stutter step down pat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, miniaturist/haiku poet that you are! I had my share of little mice tiptoeing into my house throughout my lifetime but never thought of any of them to be brides in the shadows. Great choice of words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these animal poem pairings. And what a sweet picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The curve of the mouse's tail looks like half a heart. Your poem helps me imagine mouse as a bride completing that heart with a shadow. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely marriage of art and words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, mice are often scurrying around in the shadows–fun and unexpected, thanks Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spare-but-on-target words for spare-but-on-target drawings. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?