Friday, June 23, 2023

Auburn and ALA and "Remembering That Late Afternoon" poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit lovely word-loving Linda at A Word Edgewise for Roundup.

Reminder: next week Poetry Roundup will be a "Moon in June" theme here at Live Your Poem! I can't wait to read your moon poems...and/or whatever else you choose to share! 

Thanks to the generosity of good folks at Auburn University, I have been writingdreamingrevising this week from the Lowrey Guest House. Uninterrupted writing time where I can really dive into my wip without distractions of dishes and dog and garden etc. is such a gift! I'm so so grateful...and also very pleased with my progress!


And today I am traveling to Chicago for ALA! It's not my first time to Chicago, but it IS my first time to go to ALA. I'll be signing THIS POEM IS A NEST at the Astra booth 3020 Saturday 11:30-12:00. NEST is one of those pandemic book releases that missed out on these type of opportunities, so YAY!

Also on Saturday, Charles and I will be attending the Scott O'Dell Award luncheon with the committee and Scott O'Dell's family members. So exciting! We'll be signing FREE copies of AFRICAN TOWN at the PRH Young Readers booth 2811 Saturday 3:30-4:30 pm.


This week's ArtSpeak: LIGHT poem is a love poem. I love love poems, don't you? The title comes from the title of the art. Thanks so much for reading!


Remembering That Late Afternoon

a window with no walls

my body a house of light

your eyes full of rivers

a piano in every treetop

- Irene Latham

12 comments:

  1. oooooh. My thoughts are that each line of this poem holds a surprise that I love. How fun, how interesting.
    I'm really glad you are going to ALA. You will see some of my buddies from VA. Enjoy the fun of the vendor hall...and I wish you good and solid recovery time. It can be a bit nuts. The offers of free books, tote bags and other swag really winds librarians up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This Poem is A Nest needs to be even more out in the world. Have fun with that & with Charles, too, Irene. Your poem is loving, and I love 'a piano in every treetop', the music trees give us in all sorts of ways! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this wee poem, Irene. Pianos in the treetops! Glad you had a good retreat. Enjoy Chicago! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know which line I like the most! Maybe it's all of them together that evoke the feeling. Thank you for sharing this very intimate love poem. Enjoy the conference and please say hello to Charles for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This: "writingdreamingrevising this week from the Lowrey Guest House. Uninterrupted writing time where I can really dive into my wip without distractions". how wonderful! I am so looking forward to next week's Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you are going to ALA and that readers will get to see that MOST amazing pandemic book THIS POEM IS A NEST. It's such a treasure. And yay for you and Charles. So, so happy for you! I'm only sad that I'm not going to be at ALA to see you. Hoping you get to meet loads and loads of lovely librarians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you've enjoyed that writing time! "Remembering That Late Afternoon" is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh..."a piano in every treetop" SINGS! Enjoy your writing retreat and give Charles a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene, your small poem is full of beautiful lines. Your eyes full of windows rolls off my tongue in a never-ending flow. Enjoy your convention and. I am sure that your books will be a highpoint for the attendees. Happy start of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for ALA, awards luncheons, retreats, and book signings. And, always, for love. Enjoy, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a love poem. :) Such an exciting weekend, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurrah for retreats and conferences and all good things. Your poem is a bright spot in my day. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?