Sunday, November 23, 2008

SHOWCASE SUNDAY


Many thanks to the lovely Kirie at 3 Little Chickies for giving me this award!

Kirie is an amazing woman who is a mom and artist -- and she is a continual inspiration to me.

Take today's poem, for instance. It was completely inspired by the above link, in which Kirie writes about the gorgeous gown she created for her daughter's Halloween costume.

I have often been moved/touched/inspired by textile arts, no doubt because I grew up in a house where my mother was often bent over a sewing machine making miracles. So when I saw Kirie doing the same thing... well, what do ya know, a poem popped out.

Here it is, Kirie... hope you enjoy my work in progress as much as I enjoyed yours.

Simplicity 8953
- for Kirie

The pattern promises to make a princess
so I gather together tulle, organza,
duchess satin and dupioni silk
to spin a girl’s dream: flouncy slip
beneath shimmering skirt, puffy sleeves,
bodice edged with beaded rosette trim.
I don’t warn her about the clock
or tell her how glass slippers sometimes shatter.
I stay up till dawn, add a tuck
so that it fits just right
and later as she prances and twirls
I vow to hold her close
should white steeds dissolve into skittering mice,
the royal coach to a rotting pumpkin,
the prince lost in moonlight, then
caught dancing with someone else.

- Irene Latham

"Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art."

- Maya Angelou

5 comments:

  1. I love your poem. It makes me remember when I was little and my mom remade a dress that we found at a flea market. It was the most gorgeous Halloween princess dress ever. I wish I still had it for my girls.

    Agree with your post below about Twilight. And, who was responsible for the cakey, pasty makeup in that movie?

    sf

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift you have given Kirie and her daughter. So very beautiful, Irene. Don't tell anyone but you brought a tear to my eye. It was: "I vow to hold her close
    should white steeds dissolve into skittering mice,
    the royal coach to a rotting pumpkin,
    the prince lost in moonlight, then
    caught dancing with someone else" that did it to me.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, I am SWOONING!
    Thank you so much for such an amazing gift. I think you were peeking in at my thoughts and wishes for Ada...you hit them so perfectly. With your words, you showed so much more than my photos ever could.
    Thank you, my friend. I am honored.
    Kirie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I am so happy you like! One never knows. :)
    I have two more works in progress inspired by your blog, Kirie. I'm the one who is honored and grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great award and you deserve it! Love that poem too by the way. Love the Cinderella references and the title was very original.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?