Thursday, July 6, 2017

Getting Out of My Comfort Zone with Illustrator Eric Rohmann

Hello and Happy Spiritual Journey Thursday, July 2017 edition! Today we're all talking about getting out of our comfort zones. You can find the Pat's roundup of posts over at Writer on a Horse.

A few months ago I subscribed to a new-to-me magazine called The Artist's Magazine. While I am not an artist who uses pencil, paint, etc. (yet!), I love artists and art.  I thought it would be fun to learn about art through the magazine -- which I guess is one way to get out of one's comfort zone: subscribe to a magazine you wouldn't normally read. (Also: take an art class. In an unexpected turn of events, Paul and I took our very first art class together on a cruise ship this past month! More on this soon!)

Anyhow, imagine my delight when I received my very first copy of the magazine, and it featured an interview with children's book illustrator Eric Rohmann, whom I so admire! (Have you seen THE CINDER-EYED CATS? One of my most favorite wordless picture books.) You may also recognize some of these award-winning titles: MY FRIEND RABBIT (winner of 2002 Caldecott), TIME FLIES (1994 Caldecott Honor), and most recently GIANT SQUID, written by his wife Candace Fleming (how did I not know these two were married?!)

Okay, so the article is by illustrator Will Hillenbrand, who is quite accomplished himself, with over 50 titles to his credit. The two talk about story and structure and technique and publishing and meeting the reader halfway.

One thing I learned about Eric is that he often uses other books as inspiration when deciding what technique to use on a project. And he likes to do something completely new for each book -- that way his work doesn't get "stale." Which means every book is a discovery, and he makes lots of mistakes, experiences anxiety, and eventually, if he keeps at it, finds the way to tell the story.

Eric went on to say that this, which I find hugely inspiring:

"If I do a book that has 18 paintings, I'd describe it this way: in six, I nailed it; in six, I wish I had two more months; for the other six, I have no clue."

Art (life!) is not about perfection! It's about learning and trying and discovering -- all of which requires getting out of one's comfort zone. This is true for a Caldecott-winning artist, and it's true for me and for you.

Want to read the article for yourself? Get out of your comfort zone and subscribe to The Artist's Magazine.


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to step outside of your comfort zone. You'll have to let me take a peek at this magazine. In the many years I've known you, you step out of your comfort zone regularly... do you like it... sometimes yes sometimes no... but you're making the effort to grow. That's whats important

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Irene! Eric Rohmann's way of challenging himself to try new media and techniques and in this way keep from getting stale is inspiring. I can see that exploring an artist's perspective would be a huge asset to you as someone who works on the word end of picture books. (Maybe someday both?)

    At this time in my life, I relate it to the Bible art journaling I began this spring. I've subscribed to a YouTube channel where an artist shows us many interesting techniques and works with media I've never heard of. I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea to get out of your comfort zone by reading a new magazine is one I don't think I'd have thought of, but it makes perfect sense. And the fact that you didn't find intimidation but connection is wonderful. Amazing art. I want to check out his books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene, what a delightful post on trying out a new medium to get out of the comfort zone. These lines resonate with me: "Which means every book is a discovery, and he makes lots of mistakes, experiences anxiety, and eventually, if he keeps at it, finds the way to tell the story." This is the way of life: discovery, mistakes, anxiety, moving on. I am fascinated by this illustrator and do want to check out his books. Have a wonderful weekend. See you at PF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew that something so simple as subscribing to a new magazine could be the impetus for stepping out of your comfort zone? I love these words you shared - "Art (life!) is not about perfection! It's about learning and trying and discovering -- all of which requires getting out of one's comfort zone." Thanks for encouraging me as a writer.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?