Friday, November 3, 2023

Epitaph for Light

 

River Road
Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit brilliant Buffy Silverman for Roundup.

So much on my mind today, what with it being November (!) Our fall color has peaked and now we're witnessing the great leaf-drop...we were practically wading through our backyard yesterday afternoon!

Today is also my day to post over at Smack Dab in the Middle, where you can read my (very short!) poem "Nine Ways of Looking at Revision." 


Also, here's my 3 favorite reads in 2023! (Not just released in 2023...could be any year release so long as you read it in 2023 And you know I read A LOT!). Click to find out what I loved about these books. :) And, this is super-interesting...check out Shepherd's Best Books of 2023 page. (One of my faves popped up on other people's lists!)

Another exciting thing: I joined the inaugural Alabama Master Naturalist program, so I'm excited to join others in learning more about the amazing biodiversity in my home state. :)

And THEN, a few days ago I stumbled on this post about literary epitaphs, and I've returned to it several times. 

So, trees, forests, and tombstones. For today's ArtSpeak: LIGHT poem, I've got a poem that combines all these things! 

I've had this "tree" piece of art in my file all year, and I each time I think of "Pied Beauty" by Gerard Manly Hopkins. The word "dappled" in particular comes to mind. I got to thinking: where does Light go to die? Which sent me to listen to a favorite piece of poetry-song "Take This Waltz" by the great Leonard Cohen

Perhaps that's the First-Week-of-November-Poetry-Cocktail that inspired me to finally write about The Bodmore Oak by Claude Monet.  This painting is a rendering of an actual tree in the Forest of Fountainbleau outside Paris. At one time Fountainbleau was "the" place for landscape artists to visit and work. Let's take a field trip, shall we? We can all write poems! 

Meanwhile, here's my poem. Thanks so much for reading! p.s. just 8 more Poetry Fridays in 2023!



Epitaph for Light

Here lies Light—

beloved friend 
of painters, 
photographers, 
and poets

truth-teller
hope-giver
the original 
transformer

O Light 
of a thousand faces
we cherish your 
flash, glimmer, glitter, beam!

Rest now, 
happy and dappled
forever 
in your forest home

- Irene Latham

17 comments:

  1. The idea of "happy and dappled" and forever is a beautiful thought, Irene. I looked at the epitaph site, too, fascinating. The cemetery near me where my husband is is a treasure of history. I would take my students there to capture varied epitaphs and to do research through the years. Your are busy. The naturalist program seems like it will be wonderful! Happy weekend wading through the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, I love this! Your poem made me look at the painting differently, and the lines "the original / transformer" made me smile. Thank you for sharing, and happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you've got me thinking deeply now, Irene -- where does Light go to die? If it must, then let it be a dappled path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment, Patricia is a poem in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene! The amount of doors and windows you open everyday, the number of books that you read, the reach of your curiosity is a beautiful thing all in itself!
    There is so much to love my brain is reeling! Here's one tiny sample: truth-teller
    hope-giver
    the original
    transformer
    ✨Yesss!♥️
    Sending love right back to you 💞💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, this is a complete package post: the links, the beautiful song, ponderings, and of course ArtSpeak: Light. Your words melt in my thoughts like a slow waltz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recommendation links--which I always need. And the idea of light resting, happy and dappled in a forest home. Because really, what are leaves but light seekers and a product of light? (Okay--I'm probably being more literal than you intended.) Let there be light!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous ode to light. And, true fact, dappled light is my very favorite kind of light. When Randy and I were looking for a new place a couple of years ago, there was a home with this ugly light fixture in one of the bedrooms. Gaudy and crystally and not my style. But when you turned it on, the entire room flickered in dappled light. I've tried to recreate it at home, but haven't been successful. Just gaudy fixtures I had to return :>D Thank you for this loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love dappled light. It feels so magical. Your poems bring light into the world in so many ways. After a couple of weeks of beautiful autumn colors, the trees here are nearly bare. It makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful...how bitter sweet. I'm just about done listening to Bitter Sweet and gosh, I wish I had this information when I was younger and convinced I was just a weirdo. I'm wishing you lots of cozy light in November as we start to wind down the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for "Ay, ya, ya, ya/Take this waltz/Take this waltz/" such soulful words Leonard Cohen gave us, and your dappled filled poem and image, lovely–enjoy the nature exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking me on a journey this morning to lists of books, soulful songs, and dappled light. I'll waltz through the day in thought and wonder and words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am intrigued by your favorite reads. I am in search of book club choices for December, so I am excited to check out your recommendations. Congratulations on joining the Alabama Master Naturalist Program – that sounds very intriguing. I was fascinated by the link you provided to the epitaph list. I will need to spend more time with that! How does one encapsulate a lifetime in a phrase? Lastly, what a beautiful tribute to light with your poetic words. You pack so much into each post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an intriguing premise -- to contemplate where light goes when it dies. Beautiful poem . . . you always feature the best art!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely final resting place you've imagined for light. I love how you included so many fabulous light-related words within your poem. (As an aside, when I first read your post title, all I could think of is how quickly light fades at this time of year and the coming of long hours of winter darkness! I think that's a Maine perspective!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your thoughtful words and images never disappoint, Irene. What I gleaned from your light's epitaph poem? I will strive to live my life "happy and dappled". Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?